- 1 Regular players
- 2 Higher player ranks
- 2.1 Scouts
- 2.2 The Order of the Scythe
- 2.3 Mystics
- 2.4 Moderators
- 2.5 Mentors
- 2.6 Administrators
There are three ranks for regular players in the game. These are:
Welcome to Eyewire! These are the players who have just registered and have not yet passed the basic tutorial.
These are the players who have passed the basic tutorial. They can now play like other regular players and receive corresponding points, but they are limited to playing Level 1 cells.
These are the players who have passed the Lightning tutorial and have access to all active cells.
Regular players appear green in the chat.
Higher player ranks
There are 5 main categories of higher-level players: Scout, Scythe, Mystic, Moderator, Mentor. Each has their own qualifications, powers, and responsibilities. These ranks all require promotions by HQ to be attained. Many players strive to achieve these advanced roles, but remember: With great power comes great responsibility.
Advanced players who are training to be able to make corrections in cells. Scouts will appear in chat as pale blue.
- 500 cubes completed
- 50,000 points
- 90% accuracy (we will allow a little bit of flexibility here if the player is close to the 90% threshold and has other desired qualities for scouting)
Once promoted to a Scout, a player:
- Can inspect any cube in a cell, where they will see the confidence of the segments, plus the parent cube (the cube that spawned the cube the Scout is inspecting) and the child cubes (spawned by the cube the Scout is inspecting)
- Flag the cube if a problem is found
- They have 3 heat maps that can be used on cells
- They can highlight all the parents and/or all the children of a cube
All Scouts share a set of responsibilities:
- Review cells for mergers, missing branches, and missing nubs
- Propose corrections for cubes with any such problems
- Offer opinions on others' proposed corrections
- Help players in chat who are struggling to learn to play, or with a specific cube.
The Order of the Scythe
Once a Scout has enough experience in reviewing cells, they will be accepted into the Order of the Scythe, where they will take on a new role as a Scythe. Scythes will appear in chat as glowing blue.
- Active as a Scout for approximately one month
- 90% accuracy (we will allow a little bit of flexibility here if the player is close to the 90% threshold, and has other desired qualities for scything)
With the promotion to the Order of the Scythe, players gain a few more powers:
- While they lose the ability to flag a cube, they can make an edit to a cube, known as reaping or scything
- This edit will override the consensus
- They are able to freeze and unfreeze cubes (unless an admin has frozen them)
- They can mark branches complete
On top of the responsibilities inherited from Scouts, a Scythe must:
- Remove mergers
- Extend missing branches
- Add missing nubs
- Use their expertise to help other Scythes
- Mark branches complete when they have neither mergers nor missing segments
Mystics are very experienced Scythes, hand-picked by HQ; they can request promotion during week-long competitions every two months. They're able to play in the special zebrafish dataset as of June 2017. Their chat color is glowing red.
- Active as a Scythe for approximately one month
- Scythe Complete an average of 200 cubes per month
- Maintain at least 95% reaping accuracy
- Because Mystics own their own cells, routine Eyewire participation also affects HQ’s decision
On top of the responsibilities inherited from Scythes, a Mystic helps Princeton trace zebrafish cells.
Moderators are keepers of the chat; they keep things clean and the people happy. Moderators will appear in chat as glowing purple.
Being a Moderator requires a little more than having good people skills. Players must:
- Be active in chat
- Use clean language
- Have good judgement in dealing with misbehaving players
- Be able to mediate a conflict and prevent potential conflicts
- Keep the chat away from inappropriate and offensive conversations
- Be able to handle foul language
- Moderators are required to be at least 16 years old
Moderators can remove players from chat, either temporarily or permanently.
Moderators have some of the strictest responsibilities:
- Make sure players don't misbehave. Things they watch for are:
- Foul language
- Inappropriate conversations
- Inappropriate usernames
- Moderators must warn players not to misbehave and inform them of the punishment for continuing misbehavior
- Use discretion when removing players from chat
- Listen to the grievances of offended and upset players
- Inform Admins about inappropriate usernames
Mentors are accomplished players who can assist other players who are looking for help or have a question about something fishy in their cube. Mentors will appear as pink in chat.
Mentors must be experienced players who are eager to help others and can help new players learn at their own pace.
- Ability to join a player in their cube, where they can select and deselect segments in that cube
- Scouts and Scythes who are also Mentors can use Watch Mode to help out other Scouts and Scythes in reaping
- Explicit permission must be given in general chat before a Mentor can watch someone else.
- Watch Mode cannot be used as an advantage in competitions, nor used to gain points by influencing other players' traces.
Administrators are the staff who run the game. They work at Eyewire HQ, located in Boston, Massachusetts, US. Administrators show up as gold in chat.
- Work at Eyewire HQ
- Can promote players and also bestow badges and bonus points
- Their reaps override and prevent all future changes from being made to a cube unless another admin reaps it again
- Can spawn new cells and declare cells complete
- Operate the in-game notification system
- All other advanced player powers
The main purpose of the admins is to oversee the game and its progress. They also run the various competitions that occur in EyeWire. While the main admins you will see around are gamemasters, there are many who work different jobs, such as PR and programming.